Benefits of Saltbush
Saltbush (Atriplex) is one of the oldest grazing species in Australia and is now the newest form of pelletised stockfeed.
With ongoing concerns of climate change and global warming the saltbush species is ideally suited to being able to adapt to a climate that is more inconsistent and arid.
South Australia on average produces 7 million tonnes of grain from a small area of agricultural land. It is easy to envisage that by harvesting saltbush, stockfeed production in South Australia, in theory, could be significantly increased!
This country’s vast areas of saline and arid environments could support a whole new industry and potentially provide employment in regional areas. Predictions that farmers will need to increase food production by 50% to 70%t by 2050 to feed a growing, hungry world population will demand greater efficiencies and concepts to better utilise sustainable resources whilst leaving no negative environmental footprint in the process.
Harvested saltbush helps address this dilemma with the following features and benefits
Benefits of Saltbush Stockfeed Pellets are:
- “Saltbush fed lamb” and “Saltbush fed beef” has a very high market profile! It is already an established niche “brand” with consumer recognition and demand. This benefit alone is an incentive to select the saltbush pellet as a feed source
- Palatability to livestock is good. Many producers observe the sheep and goats taking to them faster than grain.
- Animals are familiar with the saltbush flavour and aroma.
- Balanced nutrition with calculated protein and energy levels for excellent growth rates
- Very cost effective process for protein
- There is far less waste and more nutritional value feeding Saltbush pellets than feeding hay.
- Avoids volatile pricing swings due to the consistency of the ‘crop’ due to its natural hardiness and tolerance to drought and saline soils
- Meat from sheep grazing on saltbush is high in Vitamin E. This acts as an antioxidant, helping to preserve the fresh red colour and shelf life of meat
- Wilson Pastoral Saltbush Pellets are a WORLD FIRST!
- People have identified the flavour of saltbush in the meat of animals that have been grazing saltbush naturally. Saltbush pellets are now available for anybody’s stock to eat and finish on at any location.